Saturday, June 14, 2008

Storm Vs. Comets-SOC during game

As if it isn't hard enough to get media coverage for the Storm, tonight the small life line we have to the Storm is comprimised as the radio broadcast is not working. Thank goodness for Dick Fain calling the game via phone or I might have needed to be medicated because WNBA.com is not even covering this game well either. There are not even any stats available to me to analyze and that is super frustrating.

As horrid as their shooting has been tonight, it is nice that we aren't even farther out of this game. I suppose it helps that we are playing a team who is 1-7, but they are also a team who gave us a really hard time on our turf just a few weeks ago. They are bruisers, these Comets and they are going to foul a lot. We have to make our FREE throws. I accentuate the FREE because that is what they are, free points.

To only be down 4 points shooting 29 percent from the field is amazing. This bad shooting bug needs to quit following us around. I would just like us to be warm. All this smoking hot and then freezing cold is going to make me need to be medicated. Last night's game being a good example. That one just killed my already bitten to the nubs fingernails.

Perhaps it is good this game isn't on the television because I don't think it would be pretty to watch for fans of either team, 29 percent from the field for the Storm and 34% from the field for the Comets. Being outrebounded (25-13) by the Comets is not helping us either. I am not the most accurate statistician off the cuff, but I am pretty sure we are undefeated when we outrebound our opponent.

29-25...what an ugly score. Might be one of our weakest offensive games of the season. If we can steal a win, that is exactly what it would be a steal. If we played like this against pretty much any other team, we would be hopeless. 8 of 30 from the field so far......not pretty. One thing I have noticed sometimes is that the Storm plays to their competition a lot. They did that last year as well. I really wish they would play more consistently because that is why I think that the Storm gets overlooked as often as they do. In a lot of discussions about the best teams in the WNBA, the Storm isn't even mentioned and I don't think that is fair at all. Partly I believe that is because Lauren doesn't get enough credit for her play either.

Someone needs to drive at Michelle Snow and get her some more fouls to get her out of the game because she is KILLING us on the boards. I knew our rebounds would suffer tonight with the loss of Yo but I did not think it would be this bad. Hopefully our bench can give us a little bit of a push. I have loved the energy that Shyra and Tanisha have been providing. I would like to see that from Katie too. I thought she might come around this season but I am still waiting. I am not going to give up on Katie yet. It is almost like she gets stage fright because in shoot around very often, I will count her shots made in a row and before games she will knock down 30 shots in a row and then in the game be cold as ice.

41-37....thank goodness for Lauren and Tanisha....but of course the ice water running through Tina Thompson's lipstick wearing veins had to hit a three. Then we turn it over and they score and it is back to a 9 point lead. I am seriously going to need some blood pressure medication I think.

What is with the missing free throws? We have missed 7 free throws and we are down 8 points. Do the math. Last night also, we would have been in the game if we had not missed our free throws. Thank goodness the Comets can't hit a free throws either.

It must really suck when you only have 7 turnovers and your opponent has twice as many as you and you are down by 9. Comets 51-Storm 42 at the end of 3. If we could snap this cold shooting, we can win this.

Traveling call on Lauren...yeah I am sure she traveled in the paint when her team is down 9. Yes, the MVP of the league last year traveled....I don't think so. Sometimes I think it is a good thing that police officers walk the officials off the court. After that lame last minute call on Lauren last night and the no call rip off of Sue that led to the Becky Hammon layup last night, it is not suprising that Seattle is chippy and frustrated with the officials tonight. Maybe I am biased but I have never been thrilled with the overall officiating in the WNBA and I personally think that the refs are biased against Seattle and Lauren in particular.

All I can say is thank god the Comets can't shoot free throws (8 of 14 for 57%). If they made their free throws, we would be packing our bags already. Now if we could only rebound.

53-46, only down 7. We can beat them off the dribble so if we can keep this up tempo game going, we can wear them down. The question is if we have enough gas in our tank to do it. I certainly hope so. Playing Houston is always physically difficult and then the bad shooting just takes the gas out of your tank too.

Michelle Snow has 5 fouls now and just left the game. Lauren has a lot of sucess with Jackson against Mistie Williams so they should most definitely get the ball to Lauren. (Which should be our game plan at this point anyways.)

I LOVE YOU TANISHA WRIGHT....thank you for that 3. There are most definitely some Tanisha haters out there but I am not one of them at all. I love the energy and spark that Tanisha provides and her defense is definitely underrated. I love Tanisha right now.

Sounds like the Storm is running out of gas....only 2 minutes left if they can just get a little push, we will win this game. Come on ladies!!! You can do it!

59-55 with 1:35 left. DE-FENSE! DE-FENSE! DE-FENSE! Yes! Gotta stop!

WHAT? Tina Thompson shot the ball after the buzzer for a 24 second shot clock violation and her shot was blocked and they call it a 3! WTF? The referees are just ridiculous in this league I swear. Seattle cannot get a break tonight from this referee crew.

63-58 with 59 seconds left. 2 possession game......these down to the wire buzzer beater style games are not good for my ulcer. I am sure it is not good for the poor Storm either.

63-60 with 18 seconds left and KG at the line..........Katie misses.....LJ with the rebound tie up with Mabika and they jump it up. The official threw the ball ABOVE Mabika's head. This is horrific. The referees in the WNBA are a joke. An absolute joke. If there was some sort of avenue to complain about referees and demand that they watch the game, they should have to do it tonight. These referees should have to sit and watch this game duct taped to chairs with their eyelids super glued open. Now Agler has a technical foul and I don't blame him one bit. This has been a travesty.

Devastating loss....just as Dick Fain is saying, this is disgusting. Absolutely disgusting. 68-60 the final and I wanna kill some referees. If only there was a Wii game where you could shoot WNBA referees. I would be shooting me some Roy Gulbeyan, Amy Bonner, and Shelley Nakasone right about now.

1 comment:

Matt said...

What a great game report off the radio! Yes, Dick Fain did us storm fans a big favor for using his cell phone.

I'm not too upset with the late 4th quarter calls by the refs, they are human and make mistakes. Being a former high school referee myself, you can't call everything and just make sure the players don't get hurt is the main concern of the game. I think the storm players and coaching staff were hugely upest with the back to back games and the loss against San Antonio.

Back home tomorrow evening-undefeated and looking to crush Connecticut. I'm worried about Sue or Swoopes guarding Lindsay Whalen. She is having an MVP season so far. Look forward to your report from that game!